In this tutorial, keyword strategy and content strategy are going to be explained for you. From this post, you are going to learn the steps necessary to create an effective content strategy that also takes advantage of SEO.
This Means War! Keyword Strategy
Using keywords wisely is the opposite practice of keyword stuffing, which the search engines penalize you for.
- Make sure that you have a list of at least 40 optimal keywords at a minimum with high search volume and low competition to choose from.
- Note: There should be no duplicate keywords!
- Select one keyword that is going to be your overall topic. We shall refer to this keyword as “The General”.
- Now select three keywords that will function as subsections of “The General”. We shall we refer to those keywords as the “The Captains”.
- With the remaining keywords, fit them under the subsections where they most fit in order of competition from highest to lowest. We shall refer to these as “The Soldiers” of “The Squad”.
- Note: Ideally, you’ll have 4 soldiers in a squad for every captain.
- Name your soldiers (1,2,3,4, etc.) for each captain.
- Now that you have that finished, choose one captain. How does this captain relate to the general. Write that down.
- Choose a second captain. How does this captain relate to the general? Write that down.
- Repeat with the last captain. How does this captain relate to the general? Write that down.
Find A Buddy!
These next steps are for inter-linking strategies:
- Now choose a soldier squad. By each soldier in that squad, write the name of either captain or a soldier that is not of that squad. (These will be the secondary keywords.)
- Repeat this process for the soldiers of the other squads.
Congratulations, you now have the beginnings of a good content strategy for your business. Let’s continue.
Making The Connections
- Select a captain. How does solider 1 relate to that captain? Write that down.
- How does soldier number 2 relate to soldier number 1? Write that down.
- Continue this method until all of the soldiers underneath a captain have been taken care of.
- Repeat this process (steps 1-3) with the other captains and corresponding soldiers.
At this point, you have a content strategy that will give you the most bang for your buck. Most companies just make content that is related to their business without considering how these things fit together.
It is a fundamental part of competition to do things efficiently. By creating the content strategy from the beginning with your keywords, you have an idea of where the subject matter is flowing to. This makes it so much easier to tailor your content to fit the keyword strategy.
Essentially, you are doing the business practice that was popular before the practice of planned obsolescence.
Hire The Right Team
- Do not try to produce all of the content yourself. Instead, work with a clever copywriter or virtual assistant team that can write the material necessary to tailor the content around the keywords.
- The copywriter should be adding “secondary” keywords to the content, as well, to help with phrase linking later.
- Once you have all of your content produced (including images and videos), then you can continue to the next steps that are important for search engine optimization (SEO).
The first layer of SEO keyword strategy content involves inputting the content in such a way that the page of your website becomes more relevant in the eyes of Google. This is called online SEO.
If you need to actually make sure you have enough keywords to continue this tutorial, go here.
No matter how excellent your keywords are, if there is not a content strategy involved with the process from the start, then you will have a very difficult time following through with all the necessary steps.
See the first week of our SEO Strategy for a New Website series.
How would you take advantage of this keyword strategy? Leave a comment below.